Colorful, easy and refreshing, this is a nice use for all the stuff starting to show up or wind up here in the gardens and CSA shares.
Making it also marked the last use of my favorite bowl, which has finally cracked through to such a degree that liquids seep out. It’s now on the porch with some straggly hot pepper plants limping over its side.
Sweet Summer Salad
- 4 ears of corn, boiled for 30 seconds (yes, only 30), and kernels cut from the cobs
- 1 qt. edible pod peas (snow or sugar snaps), strings removed, blanched for 30 seconds
- 3 cups watermelon, either cubes or balls
- 1 T. lemon or lime juice
- 1 t. fish sauce or umeboshi vinegar
- 1 dash vinegar based hot sauce
Mix it all together and serve cold or at room temperature.