I’ve been making a BLT salad from an old Food & Wine magazine for years and years. So long, in fact, that I no longer have the torn-out page from that issue, so I can’t give F&W properly notated credit.
This version is really just for summer’s peak. It takes a whole bunch of the fresh local foods that are – at last! – filling our CSA baskets and farmer’s market bags: crisp greens, meltingly ripe tomatoes, sweet-tart peaches, and tender potatoes showing up early because of that horrible blight. These are shown off with flair and wonderful umami by the bacon and the blue cheese. We had it for dinner tonight before starting to clean out our incredibly stuffed basement. It wasn’t much incentive to get up and move dusty boxes, but at least we started out happy.
Peach Bacon Tomato Salad with Blue Cheese & Roasted Potatoes
- 5 medium red-skinned potatoes (or equivalent of new potatoes), cut into medium dice
- 3 T. olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 12 slices nitrate-free, humanely raised bacon (vegan/vegetarian friends: you can substitute 1/2 c. tamari or smoked almonds here for smokiness and crunch)
- 2 ripe-but-firm peaches, sliced fairly thinly
- 2 large very ripe tomatoes, cut into medium dice
- (I had a tasteless cantaloupe around that I also cut into a medium dice. While I didn’t want to add a mediocre ingredient, my aversion to throwing away food won out.)
- 2 t. maple syrup
- 1 t. umeboshi vinegar (or else substitute kosher salt to taste and a splash of apple cider vinegar)
- 10 c. mixed greens (or lettuce or young arugula or spinach)
- 1/2 c. crumbled blue cheese (vegan/vegetarian friends: you can substitute some tamari-marinated tempeh that’s been pan-fried and crumbled)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in large saute pan. Add potatoes when rippling, sprinkle with salt, and cook, turning occasionally until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Cook bacon until crisp (unless you’re one of them there limp bacon type people) according to your favorite method. My current way is to do it in my convection oven, which is awfully easy. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together peaches, tomatoes, any flavorless melon you’re obsessively not wasting, umeboshi or salt & vinegar, and maple syrup. Toss to blend very well and set aside.
- Place a nice heap of greens on each of four dinner plates. On each plate, arrange the potatoes and tomato-peach mixture however you like. (I made a ring of potatoes and put the peach mix inside it.) Sprinkle bacon and blue cheese liberally over each, and then serve.